Wednesday 15 January 2014




IKEA MIRROR
MIXED MEDIA 
(SWEET LILAC FLOWERS!)



I bought this mirror way back in mid November with good intentions.......eventually a week or so before Santa was due I thought of a Dear Friend who I felt would love it but well it was just a bit too plain and though she dislikes fussy it needed 'jazzed up' a tiny bit, without that printed machine production line look, which I am sure we all hate.

After sanding it lightly along the false grain, I took a stencil from my stash (Oh! Memory is failing me a little...guess I am gonna need to start keeping notes lol!) Strangely though I recall next picking out of my box the lovely flowers from Sweet Lilac http://www.sweetlilac.co.uk which adorn the project  mmmm well they really do add that bit o' class to it.

With Versa-mark I stamped through the stencil and gently dusted mica powder over the area, repeating this a section at a time. I glued the large and small gems in place with hot glue. Then glued silver organza ribbon bows to opposite corners and added the flowers on top.

Finally, I masked the mirror and sprayed a gentle coat of Crafter's Companion Spray and Shine.

I made a shallow tray from hammered 12x12 white card to present it in.

Recently, knowing that before Christmas I had completed this project, I was further inspired when another crafter Karen Clare https://www.facebook.com/KarensLittleGiftsandCards also used the Ikea Mirror for crafting, but alas a bit more professionally than myself. I recommend you pop over to see Karen's work with these and please note that she will be running a workshop on 26th January using these.

I feel another wee trip to Ikea is needed.

Happy crafting folks... and Thanks for popping in.

Bye for now

Krafti Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment