Monday 26 May 2014

"STAMPS CARVED FROM A POTATO!"

"STAMPS CARVED FROM A POTATO!"
Craft Stamper Take It, Make It Challenge

MAY 2014


Hi Folks.......

Smashing....lol
This challenge really took me back to my school days, I remember potato printing, but also cabbage, onions and other items when I was a child?                                                                                                            
(I really enjoyed carving the potato, easier than I recall, perhaps the knife was sharper.)
Having cut my potato into three parts, I punched a butterfly template using a Martha Stewart punch and carved around this from the potato. For my second stamp, I placed a punched circle onto the potato and again carved around this. While for the third I used a scrap piece of card from which I had previously punched a star and carved the centre from this, though I decided not to use the star in my final piece.

At this point I decided to use a Stamps Away stencil to create the background, with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink; punched six more butterflies and two cherubs from copier paper to use as masks and created the background. I then took Mustard Seed to create the centre circle behind my sun having used a punched circle as a mask.


The next bit was fun, giving potato printing a go ....the potatoes (in picture above) are Dusty Concord (butterfly) and Spiced Marmalade (sun/circle) Distress Inks.  

 I dried the background a little with my heat gun and stamped the potato butterfly in the areas I had previously masked. Having dried them, I did the same with the circle (sun).

As all entries MUST have real stamping too, I decided this should be minimal on this occasion and felt an appropriate verse would suffice. So I stamped the 'Love  is like a butterfly... ' verse stamp from CraftiDevils.








I then layered the finished piece onto black card. (Right)
On the left is a section close up of the butterfly, sun and verse.


Thank You for reading my blog...Happy Stamping!

Take Care .... Karen Gartland x

No comments:

Post a Comment